Tuesday, October 28, 2008

LA vs. NY






Have you ever been somewhere you thought you knew a lot about, but it turned out very different then what you expected? Everyone has but most recently for me was my experience in LA. After a long day of traveling with more to come, Rachel and I stopped in LA to visit her friend Richard. Richard and her studied abroad together in Australia and now he is studying for his PhD in psychology at UCLA. I had never been to LA before so this seemed a great opportunity to see the sights. The funny thing about LA is that growing up, I have watched many TV shows, new reports, and movies which have depicted LA and I thought I knew what LA was all about. What I pictured having grown up on the east coast was a city like New York,with a little more of a laid back attitude and a huge beach culture. I was right about some aspects but way off in others. LA is nothing like New York. LA has grown out instead of growing up. You don't see any skyscrapers there. I thought that everything in LA would be easy to get to kind of like NY but it isn't. Because LA has grown out, there is a lot of ground you need to cover to get to your destination. The bus system was easy to use and inexpensive but it took some time to get to the destination. Unlike NY where the subway system gets you where you need to be in no time at all but that's only if you can figure out the complex subway routes. The people in LA were great, there was a laid back attitude which I expected and while walking on Venice Beach and Santa Monica pier a huge beach followwing. One other aspect of LA that I don't agree with is that whoever said LA people are very attractive was wrong. I'm not saying they are ugly, but I was just expecting to see good looking people everywhere I went and I didn't. No more than NY or anywhere else I've seen. A couple things I will never forget about LA; seeing the Hollywood sign for the first time; Hollywood blvd where I got my picture taken next to Mickey Mouse's star; Beverly Hills really is as nice as it's portrayed on TV; watching the North Carolina Hurricanes (Hartford Whalers) beat the Anaheim Mighty Ducks.



1 comment:

Mom said...

The pics are great, Mar! Sounds like you will not only experience world cultures but some American ones as well! All is well here!
Take care you two,
Mom