Thursday, January 15, 2009

Waitimo Caves and Tongariro National Park



From Rotorua we traveled to Waitimo Caves. I planned on making it a nice little day trip and then head down to Tongariro National Park. Waitimo Caves was the place to go and do a little caving. It's basically rafting in a cave, very cool. I was a little bit sceptical about it because as it was still pretty cold I wasn't sure how I was going to get in the water. Luckily, I would be in a wet suit. The caves were fun we spent about an hour navigating through very tight rocks and even bouncing off some of them. Another plus was while in the caves our guide pointed out glow worms. Their really was no need to point them out because there were millions of them on the cave ceiling. They looked like stars in the sky very beautiful. Our guide later told us that they weren't actually glow worms but glow maggots and the glow came from there poop. I guess it's hard to get tourists to come to the Waitimo Caves to see glowing poop from maggots on the ceiling of a cave. Who would have thought. After we took a hot shower and had some of there free soup to warm up, I started down to the Tongariro National Park. I was extremely excited about this park because it was home to Mt Doom in the Lord of the Rings. I was planning on doing the Tongariro Alpine Crossing, which was a eight hour hike up Mt Doom to see some of the best views and scenery of New Zealand. Unfortunately, I stayed there for three day and the weather was awful the entire time. I had to leave the Tongariro National Park without doing the crossing, I was very disappointed but needed to continue on with my adventure. Next stop Wellington.

No comments: