Thursday, January 15, 2009

Roto-vegas



Rotorua often called Roto-vegas is a hot spot for tourism in the north island. I was very interested in one particular activity, Zorbing. I had researched it before coming to New Zealand and thought that I absolutely needed to do it. Zorbing is rolling down a hill in a huge air cushioned ball. I know that it doesn't sound all that appealing to some because of the constant spinning, but if you throw in a bucket of water, it's like a water slide. There were two tracks that you could choose from, one went straight down the hill and another zig zagged down a hill. I elected to do the zig zagged track. I noticed that some people had there names up in a sort of hall of fame for running in the zorb all the way down the track, so I thought I would give that a try. There was only about five people to go down the zig zag track still standing, so I knew it wasn't going to be easy but still thought that I could have a shot. I made it around the first turn and lost my footing. I tried to get back on my feet and found it impossible but thought it was a lot more fun trying. I had a great time zorbing and would recommend it to anyone. After zorbing, I finally made it to Rotorua and found a nice little hostel for a couple nights. Rotorua is a hot bed for thermal activity and one of the reasons I wanted to visit. I had never seen a volcano or any thermal activity before and wanted to make that a priority. I walked around a couple of Rotorua's parks which had many mud pools and hot pools on display, but the best was definitely Te Puia, a constantly erupting geyser. I stopped and took a couple of pictures of it, and stood there for about an hour just taking it all in. I moved on from there to watch a maori meeting house gathering. Maori people are native of New Zealand and they shared some of there dancing and native customs. It was heaps of fun. The one down fall to Rotorua is that because of all the thermal activity the whole town smells like rotten eggs. after being there a couple of days you don't get used to it. But all in all a great town. Up next Waitmo Caves.........

No comments: