Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Woofing in Whangamata




I'm realizing that I don't have as much time to do my blogs due to the lack of Internet access so I am going to start summarizing everything instead.



My time in Whangamata was amazing. I woofed with a great English couple and worked on there 40 foot catamaran. My host family, Rich and Joe sailed to New Zealand about 15 years ago from England with three children. Talk about brave. Whangamata was a nice little summer community that is known for great surf and beaches. Unfortunately, it was still not warm enough yet to enjoy them. I did, however, get to enjoy a great hike to a wonderful 50 ft waterfall and an amazing boat ride around Whangamata harbor and shoreline. Rich brought us out to a nice little island in the shape of a doughnut known if you can believe it as doughnut island. The island was very much like the last scene in the goonies where the ship was hidden. I guess a lot of locals will boat out there for the day, anchor, and spend the day on a very small beach. Their isn't room for many people, but not many people know about it. On the way back from doughnut island is where this trip started to get really interesting. We happened upon a boat having trouble getting into the harbor. The tide was going out and a nice little yacht was grounded. Rich being an accomplished sailor decided we ought to help. He tide a rope to the bow and asked me to hang off the mast of the boat over the water. I thought he was kidding at first. I immediately knew he wasn't kidding and said what the hell, the thought of me holding on to the mast with my body hanging over the freezing water amused me and if by chance I fell into the water, what a funny story I would have. I was able to hang off the mast without falling in the water and Rich pulled the yacht back into the channel. I was a hero, sort of. We hooked up the boat and started home when about half a mile from Rich and Joe's house we found a couple of motorcyclists on the side of the road. One of them must of came around the corner and slid right of the road. One was still on the ground having trouble getting up. We called the police and went to help. Luckily, no one was very badly hurt, although the passenger on the bike had a dislocated finger and probably a knee injury. We did the best we could to help before the ambulance came and took her to the hospital. It was a very exciting day. We spent the rest of that night like every other night in the company of Rich and Joe and their amazing dinners, and stories. I'm glad I got the chance to experience woofing at Rich and Joe's. I think it is amazing that people open their homes to people they don't know and while there strangers become great friends. Off to Rotorua.....

No comments: